From:   Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au>
To:     ganglia-general@lists.sourceforge.net,
Date:   27.03.2014 21:08
Subject:        [Ganglia-general] Ganglia 4.x architecture planning

I made up a rough diagram about how Ganglia 4.x could look:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ganglia/monitor-core/master/doc/planning/ganglia-4.x.png

The biggest change is the introduction of MongoDB

Instead of having the gmetad serve up an XML every time somebody asks to
see the web page, the gmetad will just store current values into MongoDB.

This means that web frameworks (like PHP) can query the data from
MongoDB, which is much more horizontally scalable and more suited to
serving this data.  For large sites where many users access the web
reports, this will be very useful.

MongoDB is also a backend for rsyslog daemon now and could potentially
be a Nagios backend, so it would be a great way to unify monitoring data.

The introduction of RabbitMQ is an optional dependency.  It would allow
users to send commands from the web interface.

One of the motivations for this work is the Google Summer of Code
projects.  Each student can potentially work on a different part of this
puzzle and at the end of the year we could launch it as Ganglia 4.0 if
people like it.

Regards,

Daniel