On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:

> That has already been discussed in the thread - are you OK with the plugin
> idea?

I think so - having an easy built-in default would be ideal.

> Knowing you have 180k metrics is only one factor
>
> How many users (both humans and processes) want to view your data in
> real-time?  Is it just used by sysadmins, for example, or does everybody in
> every development or support team access Ganglia?

We've actually fronted ganglia-web w/ another app for organizing the graphs
so our demands are likely different than others who use the web UI
directly, I simply provided the metric count as a reference for metadata
size. In our case many different development teams access ganglia via this
web frontend and I understand that this increases demand on gmetad, however
I've seen a variety of improvements that can be applied to the existing
system to get us beyond the performance requirements we have today.

I'm not rejecting the use case some may have for a different solution, I'm
just pointing out it doesn't have immediate value to me.

--
Twitter: @anichols
Blog: http://www.opsbs.com