FSU has been in the sports pages lately because of all the arrests and illegal stuff they have been doing.
Everyone writes about all the football and basketball problems at USC.
Everyone writes about how the Big 10 and Big 12 can't compete with the SEC.
How can reporting a string of violations to the NCAA and SEC be good?  It sounds like lack of institutional control to me

How can anyone think that all the negative publicity is good?

Starting to think that Raiders owner Al Davis was right all along ...

Tennessee AD: Lane Kiffin’s promotion of Vols has been ‘quite amazing’

by Ben Volin
Lane Kiffin has ticked off about half the coaches in the SEC, committed several secondary recruiting violations and took a cheap shot at the people of Pahokee in his first six months as head football coach at Tennessee.
Call him “Lame Kiffin” all you want, but athletic director Mike Hamilton is loving every minute of it.
“When you think about the fact that our football program was 5-7 last year, and we’ve got a coach that’s not coached a game yet in college football, but yet, we’re on the front page of USA Today sports (Tuesday) … it’s really quite amazing,” Hamilton told the Associated Press this week. “Now, we prefer that attention to always be positive, but sometimes you take the good with the bad in that regard. I feel like for the most part it’s been good.”
Kiffin seemingly can’t help but get himself in trouble. The latest episode came this week, when the Vols self-reported a secondary recruiting violation. The message “I was so excited to hear that J.C. Copeland committed to play for the Vols today!” appeared on Kiffin’s Facebook and Twitter pages, and the blame was placed on an overzealous staffer who didn’t know recruiting rules.
Kiffin’s mouth has gotten him in trouble a few times, but it’s a small price to pay for turning that program around.
“Everybody says, ‘Does he really understand what he’s doing or saying?’ Yeah, he does,” said Hamilton. “I have found him to be different from the media persona that was painted of him, stemming from those original February comments. He’s not as cavalier as the media painted him to be.”
And you’ll notice that Kiffin has mostly kept his mouth shut since making national news in February with his comments about Pahokee and Nu’Keese Richardson.
Since then, Kiffin called The Post to offer an interview/apology. Then when the situation turned ugly again this month — the Pahokee principal demanded that Tennessee/Kiffin make an apology in person — Kiffin sent running backs coach Eddie Gran to town this week to smooth things over.
If you haven’t seen it, the Pahokee-Tennessee rift has been resolved.
“They’ve done everything they need to do. They’re allowed at practice and everything is hopefully back to normal,” Pahokee coach Blaze Thompson said. “I’m very happy. I’m glad the issue is resolved and we don’t have to concern ourselves with who can and can’t come to our practices and recruit our players.”
The Vols may still get killed on the scoreboard this season, but the attention has certainly helped with recruiting. Rivals.com ranked Kiffin’s 2009 recruiting class No. 10 in the nation, one spot ahead of Florida. Kiffin also landed Bryce Brown, the nation’s supposed No. 1 recruit.
Hamilton said he is a little surprised with the amount of attention Kiffin’s comments have garnered.
“Have you heard some of the things our basketball coach has said?” he joked, referring to Bruce Pearl. “Some of the things Bruce says sometimes are much more cavalier, but because the attention Lane garnered early on for some reason the media seems to be more focused on that. And that’s OK.”

1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us