Hi!

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 09:58:27PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2020, Frank Ch. Eigler via Gcc wrote:
> > > Out of curiousity, is this rewriting you are talking about the cause for a
> > > lot of mails showing up as "From: GCC List" rather than their real
> > > senders?
> > > This has become very annoying recently.
> >
> > Yes, for emails from domains with declared interest in email
> > cleanliness, via DMARC records in DNS.  We have observed mail
> > -blocked- at third parties, even just days ago, when we failed to
> > sufficiently authenticate outgoing reflected emails.
> >
> > AIUI, all this effort is driven by wanting to defeat not just spammers
> > but also real security problems like phishing enabled by forgery,
> > including specifically the From: header.
>
>  And it has actually broken GCC's patchwork:
> <http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/gcc/list/>, which I used to use to
> track my patches.

Yes, I noticed (I run that patchwork).

> Now I cannot do that anymore as patches submitted from
> my WDC address are marked as coming from <gcc-patc...@gcc.gnu.org>, which
> obviously means they are not attributed to me.

Yup.

>  I am fairly sure it breaks `git am' too, requiring a `From' override in
> the change description for author attribution in patch application to work
> reliably (I tend to work on my outbox when applying my own patches, so I
> avoid this issue, but I am sure the issue will hit someone sooner or
> later).

Yup.

>  And of course I cannot use the `macro@' pattern anymore to select mailing
> list messages in my inbox that I sent myself.  Frankly it's the least of
> the annoyances, but still, and they all add up.

It would break even the built-in mutt "you sent this yourself" detection.

>  This is all silly, requiring the SMTP envelope sender to match the `From'
> header breaks even the most basic e-mail mechanisms like the use of a
> `.forward' file.

This even *never* is true for my mail setups, and never has been, and it
all works fine.

> Can we please do something about it?  Is functional
> regression the price we absolutely need to pay for progress?
>
>  How come the Linux kernel people who do e-mail patch management on a
> vastly larger scale than we do, both in terms of traffic and the number of
> mailing list subscribers, can get away without all these odd quirks in
> their list server management?  Perhaps it would be good asking them how
> they handle their stuff?

If someone cannot connect to them because they have a broken mail setup,
the kernel people say "your problem, get a working mail setup", and that
works fine so far (99.999% of people *can* get working mail, just not
always company mail).

Segher