> Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 11:55 PM
> From: "Richard Kenner" <ken...@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
> To: dim...@gmx.com
> Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, m...@klomp.org, m...@soulstudios.co.nz, nat...@acm.org
> Subject: Re: Remove RMS from the GCC Steering Committee
>
> > Here is something close to the fundamental issue: Believing in
> > private life, that people are entitled to their own associations and
> > opinions (even bad ones!), and entitled to make their own mistakes,
> > too and that, barring some direct connection to work life or
> > extraordinary circumstance, that none of this is the concern of the
> > little platoons of finks lurking in the community,
>
> But I think that's exactly the question: when does something have a "direct
> connection to work life"?  Remember back in 2007 when US airlines were asking
> their pilots not to wear their uniforms to Unemployment offices because
> they were concerned about negative effect on their companies?

It is somewhat more complicated because his position con be recognised by
various people living in various countries, and thus does not fall into
one jurisdiction.  It seems to me that the situation is quite similar
to international law, where treaties requires all ratifying countries.
This can be extremely difficult.  Because Stallman is the founder, it
is in his prerogative to claim authority over the project.  I have been
a proponent over a transition and discussed this with him.  There could
have been possibilities for this to happen.  But in the climate that has
been created, he won't find the right conditions for a transition to occur.

Many had the chance to work with him but screwed it up.  People got to
understand this.

Christopher