Regional Steering Committee Statement of the ASEAN Civil SocietyConference /
ASEAN People’s Forum 2017 (ACSC/APF)

ASEAN CIVIL SOCIETY CONFERENCE/ ASEAN PEOPLES FORUM PH 2017·VRIJDAG 17 FEBRUARI
2017

“ASEANFOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE”

Statement of the ASEAN Civil Society Conference /ASEAN People’s Forum 2017
(ACSC/APF)

Regional Steering Committee

As the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)marks its 50th year, we,
civil society organizations (CSOs) and people’sorganizations in the region
remain critically engaged in asserting alternativeforms of regional integration
that addresses the long-standing issues andconcerns affecting the peoples of
Southeast Asia.

There have been several concerns raised by CSOs in thepast years of its
engagement with ASEAN including the lack of genuine people’sparticipation in
ASEAN decision-making, the rising inequalities among memberstates, prevailing
inaction on human rights issues, and the dominance ofelite-centred and
market-oriented development strategies among others.

Over the years, these issues have provokedwide-ranging responses and resistance
against the current neoliberalintegration model espoused by ASEAN.
Consequently, it has also prompted CSOsand people’s organizations to lead the
way for establishing new forms ofregional integration based on existing and
emerging alternatives at thecountry-level – alternativesthat are based on
people-to-people interactions rather than state-to-staterelations or purely
market-oriented solutions to the region’s problems.

As Chair of the ASEAN this year, the Philippinegovernment is hosting the ASEAN
Summits this April and November. A number ofASEAN high-level meetings have also
been lined up to take place in the country.Similarly, the ASEAN CivilSociety
Conference/ ASEAN Peoples’ Forum (ACSC/APF) is also set to holdparallel
activities to voice out the people’s concerns and issues in theregion, as had
been our practice for the past eleven years. ThisFebruary 15 -16, we,
representatives of CSOs and social movements from elevencountries in Southeast
Asia have come together for the First RegionalConsultation Meeting (RCM)
leading up to the main Conference in August 2017.

The ACSC/APF is a network of Southeast Asian civilsociety organizations and
social movements that engages the ASEAN processes to address the issues
andconcerns of the people –human rights and access to justice, peace and
humansecurity, trade, climate change, migration, job and livelihood and
socialprotection. Its constituents include workers, thepeasantry, urban poor,
fisherfolk, women, children, LGBT community, indigenouspeoples, migrants, older
persons, workers, youth and persons with disabilities.

Even as we advance alternatives to the current ASEANregional integration model,
we continue asserting the meaningful participationof Southeast Asian peoples in
government discussions especially on issues thataffect our lives. By doing so,
we seek to contribute in building an ASEANregion that is truly of the people,
by the people, and for the people. ###

Philippines - (CHAIR) Ms. Jelen Paclarin, Women’sLegal and Human Rights Bureau
/ PhilWomen on ASEAN

Philippines - (CHAIR) Prof. Eduardo C. Tadem, Freedomfrom Debt Coalition

Brunei - Ms. Siti Zaleha Kaprawi, Women Graduates Association,Women Council of
Brunei Darussalam

Cambodia - Ms. Srey Sotheavy, Alliance for ConflictTransformation (ACT)

Indonesia - Mr. Harry Sandy Ame, AGRA (Aliansi GerakanReforma Agraria)

Lao PDR - Mr. Cher Her, The Association for VulnerableChildren and Community
Development

Malaysia - Ms. Lee Shook Fong, Centre for IndependentJournalism

Myanmar - May Shi Sho, Karin Development Network

Singapore - Mr. Soe Min Than, Think Centre

Thailand - Sunsanee Sutthusanee, Pro-rights Foundation

Vietnam - Dong Huy Cuong, Vietnam Peace andDevelopment Foundation

Regional - Deborah Christine Stothard, Forum Asia

  • [GELORA45] Tatiana Lukman jetaimemuc...@yahoo.com [GELORA45]
  • [GELORA45] Hsin Hui Lin ehh...@gmail.com [GELORA45]
  • [GELORA45] mj marthaja...@yahoo.com [GELORA45]
    • Re: [G... 'Chan CT' sa...@netvigator.com [GELORA45]