On 16 January 2014 10:45, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 00:39:23 +0100
>> From: sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
>> To: Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
>> Cc: general@attic.apache.org,
>>
>>     Apache Infrastructure <infrastruct...@apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: Moving projects to the Attic

>>> Hi,

>>>   Shouldn't the (svn) permissions for 'site' and 'dist' be
>>>   transfered from project committers to attic committers ?
>>>   to freeze the web-site and dist-area, and let 'attic' do
>>>   its thing?
>>>

>> If Infra are happy with the idea, then updating the authn files can be
>> done by the following groups:
>>
>> [/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization]
>> @member = rw
>> @pmc-chairs = rw
>> @svnadmins = rw
>> @board = rw
>> @exec-officers = rw
>>
>> Which should be enough for Attic to assign themselves the necessary
>> karma for the site, as has already been done here:
>>
>> [/websites/production/esme]
>> @attic-pmc = rw
>> @esme = rw
>>
>> Not sure where the dist/release permissions are defined, so I don't
>> know if this can be done by Attic personnel
>

>   That file is generated by 'infra' with :
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/generate-dist-authorization
>
>   As you can see, at the moment, 'esme' is a special case :
>   "@attic-pmc = rw" is added to [/dev/esme], [/release/esme].

OK, I see.
Then not something Attic could change.

>   Also, for the record, "infra" wants to remove the dist/dev/esme
>   and dist/release/esme areas (six months after 'attic' day).

The dev/esme tree could be deleted immediately.
I assume svnpubsub will have to be switched off for the release tree first.
And that can only happen after the .htaccess redirects have been set up.
Once release/esme is deleted, the esme/.htaccess file will no longer
be anywhere in current SVN - the only copy will in backups.

Perhaps the .htaccess redirects should be added to the parent (dist)
directory, in which case the esme directory could be removed entirely
from dist?

It seems a bit unnecessary for all attic projects to have directories
which only contain .htaccess files, but perhaps there is a reason why
this is better than updating the parent .htaccess file.

I note that the parent directory (dist) does not seem to be in SVN.
Maybe it should be, in which case attic dirs could be moved to that
for ongoing maintenance.

>   IHMO, it would be a lot simpler if 'project' esme could simply
>   move from (defunct) pmc-esme to pmc-attic ; A PMC can run more
>   than one project.

Not sure I follow how that would work technically with the existing auth files.