On 16 January 2014 14:56, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:51:57 +0100
>>
>> From: sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
>> To: Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
>> Cc: general@attic.apache.org,
>>     Apache Infrastructure <infrastruct...@apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: Moving projects to the Attic
>>
>> On 16 January 2014 10:45, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:
>

>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/generate-dist-authorization
>

>>>   Also, for the record, "infra" wants to remove the dist/dev/esme
>>>   and dist/release/esme areas (six months after 'attic' day).
>>

>> The dev/esme tree could be deleted immediately.
>> I assume svnpubsub will have to be switched off for the release tree
>> first.
>> And that can only happen after the .htaccess redirects have been set up.
>> Once release/esme is deleted, the esme/.htaccess file will no longer
>> be anywhere in current SVN - the only copy will in backups.
>

>   Ah yes ; I forgot that after six months the dist/TLP/ should be
>   stripped down to a .htaccess (not removed, as I said).
>

>> Perhaps the .htaccess redirects should be added to the parent (dist)
>> directory, in which case the esme directory could be removed entirely
>> from dist?
>>
>> It seems a bit unnecessary for all attic projects to have directories
>> which only contain .htaccess files, but perhaps there is a reason why
>> this is better than updating the parent .htaccess file.
>

>   I dont' think putting the redirects in "dist/.htaccess" can be made
>   to work properly. In the 'Redirect' the first argument must be an
>   absolute path, and that won't work on the mirrors ;
>   .htaccess doesn't take Directory directives ;
>   hence the 'RedirectMatch' in (fi) "dist/beehive/.htaccess".

OK, that's a pity.

>   I /would/ like to remove (in /dist/) anything pointing to an attic'ed
>   TLP after some time ; say 2 years.
>
>   -- Would anybody veto that :-?

So for example beehive and harmony and jakarta would now be candidates
for deletion?

I assume the original websites would remain.
If the redirects were removed, the mirror download pages would break completely.
At present they redirect to the Attic holding page; I think they would
404 instead.

It would be a lot of effort to update all the site download pages to
document or fix this, and deleting the pages would lose useful
information.

Keeping the redirects would avoid this.

My vote would be -1 (but is not binding).

>> I note that the parent directory (dist) does not seem to be in SVN.
>> Maybe it should be, in which case attic dirs could be moved to that
>> for ongoing maintenance.
>

>   ... dist/.htaccess doesn't get synced from mino to the rsync servers ...
>   ... I think the attic'ed TLP's shouldn't be moved ; setting proper
>       (@attic) rw-rights is enough.
>

>>>   IHMO, it would be a lot simpler if 'project' esme could simply
>>>   move from (defunct) pmc-esme to pmc-attic ; A PMC can run more
>>>   than one project.
>>

>> Not sure I follow how that would work technically with the existing
>> auth files.
>

>   The /dist/ svn auth file is generated (url above) ; the script could/
>   should be made smarter (it should know about attic'ed projects).
>   I don't know if there is a reliable database saying "project esme
>   now belongs to pmc-attic".

If the only place that needs to know about them is the script, then it
could be listed there.
As is done for projects that allow non-PMC RMs.