On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:51:57 +0100
From: sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
To: Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
Cc: general@attic.apache.org,
    Apache Infrastructure <infrastruct...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Moving projects to the Attic

On 16 January 2014 10:45, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/generate-dist-authorization

  Also, for the record, "infra" wants to remove the dist/dev/esme
  and dist/release/esme areas (six months after 'attic' day).

The dev/esme tree could be deleted immediately.
I assume svnpubsub will have to be switched off for the release tree first.
And that can only happen after the .htaccess redirects have been set up.
Once release/esme is deleted, the esme/.htaccess file will no longer
be anywhere in current SVN - the only copy will in backups.

  Ah yes ; I forgot that after six months the dist/TLP/ should be
  stripped down to a .htaccess (not removed, as I said).

Perhaps the .htaccess redirects should be added to the parent (dist)
directory, in which case the esme directory could be removed entirely
from dist?

It seems a bit unnecessary for all attic projects to have directories
which only contain .htaccess files, but perhaps there is a reason why
this is better than updating the parent .htaccess file.

  I dont' think putting the redirects in "dist/.htaccess" can be made
  to work properly. In the 'Redirect' the first argument must be an
  absolute path, and that won't work on the mirrors ;
  .htaccess doesn't take Directory directives ;
  hence the 'RedirectMatch' in (fi) "dist/beehive/.htaccess".

  I /would/ like to remove (in /dist/) anything pointing to an attic'ed
  TLP after some time ; say 2 years.

  -- Would anybody veto that :-?

I note that the parent directory (dist) does not seem to be in SVN.
Maybe it should be, in which case attic dirs could be moved to that
for ongoing maintenance.

  ... dist/.htaccess doesn't get synced from mino to the rsync servers ...
  ... I think the attic'ed TLP's shouldn't be moved ; setting proper
      (@attic) rw-rights is enough.

  IHMO, it would be a lot simpler if 'project' esme could simply
  move from (defunct) pmc-esme to pmc-attic ; A PMC can run more
  than one project.

Not sure I follow how that would work technically with the existing
auth files.

  The /dist/ svn auth file is generated (url above) ; the script could/
  should be made smarter (it should know about attic'ed projects).
  I don't know if there is a reliable database saying "project esme
  now belongs to pmc-attic".

  Regards,

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof BBL-761   _/ \_
Princetonplein 5, 3584CC Utrecht, NL      F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penn...@uu.nl     \_/