On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

>  That would make the PPMC be about 50%  IBM day job  and 50% (non IBMers or
>  IBM non-day jobers). Can we take it to a private list if anyone wants a
>  detailed breakdown?

+1

IMO the IPMC is wrong to ask for named affiliations in public.
contractual information is potentially confidential and should be
discussed only in private. all that should be needed in public are
aggregate statistics.

IMHO the emphasis on committer affiliation is misguided. overloading
the word diversity was also probably a mistake. maybe we need to focus
on narrower concepts with alternative names.

1. the incubator should be concerned about the composition of the
proposed PMC. PMC conveys voting rights and control of the project
going forward. independent committers are fine but if these are not
being enfranchised then this should be a concern. so the aggregation
distribution of affiliations of PPMC members should be of interest. i
don't care what the affliation is, just the aggregate stats.

2. for a top level project to succeed, it needs to be able to
encrourage, recruit and mentor new independent developers. unless a
project demonstrates the ability to recruit new independent
developers, it is not ready to graduate. so, i would like to know how
many new independent committers the project has developed, am
interested in the quantity of code they've contributed and whether
they are on the PPMC. again, i don't care about their affiliations.

- robert