+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Marvin Humphrey [mailto:mar...@rectangular.com]
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2015 09:37
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reform of Incubator {was; [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the
Apache Incubator)

[ ... ]

It's not the central Incubator folks like our regular release
reviewers and report contributors who invent these extra criteria --
it's individual Mentors out on the podling lists.  Inaccuracy and
overreach on general@incubator is self-correcting, precisely because
this is where everyone comes together.  When inaccuracy and overreach
out on individual podling dev lists, whether that gets corrected
depends on whether the podling is fortunate enough to have a
well-rounded collection of active Mentors.

[ ... ]

The objective of establishing clear policy documentation is certainly
not going to be made any easier by atomizing the Incubator.  Instead,
Mentors who have strong opinions and strong personalities will
entrench provincial points of view in the podlings they oversee. When
we finally come together, it will be that much more painful to
establish consensus, whether that is to discuss policy on
general@incubator or legal-discuss@apache, or when the Board comes
into conflict with a TLP that received bad advice as a podling.

As someone who has worked hard building consensus for policy
documentation at Apache, and who has seen that hard work pay off when
Incubator threads which would have been contended several years ago
are now settled quickly, I certainly agree that documenting clear
objective criteria is valuable.  But nothing about the present makeup
of the Incubator gets in the way of pursuing that objective -- it's
the opposite.  Its because we resolve our differences in small amounts
here that we do not end up as irreconcilable factions later.

Marvin Humphrey