On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 4:59 PM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 3, 2019, at 2:37 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> >

> > This is correct. Provided we *do* explicitly acknowledge that special
> > status of the Incubator.
> >
> > This acknowledgement will basically put podling source code releases
> > at the same level we have convenience binary releases. Which is: they
> > are NOT acts of the foundation.
> >

> IMO, we want 2 things:
>
>   1.  Podlings, and PPMC members, to enjoy the legal protection of the
> foundation when they do a release
>
>   2. The outside world, and esp downstream end-users, to know that podling
> releases should be expected to not be fully compliant with the normal
> expectations associated w/ PMC releases.
>
> #1 requires them to be acts of the foundation; #2 requires easily visible and
> discoverable disclaimers.
>
> Anything else just seems excessive and somewhat unwarranted, I think. Let's
> make it as easy as possible, and as painless as possible, for podlings to
> learn; Heck, at the start of The Apache Group and the ASF, we didn't do
> everything right; we tried some things and some failed. It's in the nature of
> education and mentoring. Making mistakes is not a problem; not learning from
> them is.
>
> After we resolve this, I *really* would like to switch the convo around to a
> discussion as deep, and as involved, but related to the other (IMO, more
> important) side of the Incubator coin: education in the Apache Way. So much
> derives from that... even the legal considerations of releases ultimately can
> be found there, IMO. And I still maintain that we do a Not-So-Good job here.

Well said Jim.

Mistakes are inevitable as long as humans are involved. Regardless of
the process we apply we aren't going to solve that. The incubator can
make 'business' decisions around that risk. However, our legal process
is only side of the coin, and while it's important - we should care
much more about perpetuating and communicating our culture vis-a-vis
the Apache Way.

--David