on 1/7/02 5:18 PM, "Paulo Gaspar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Jboss's success seems to be one project. I'm actually glad they went to
>> sourceforge...they would have struggled to survive here...
>
> How can you know?

I hosted their project on my servers for the first couple of years they were
alive and have had a boat load of conversations with Marc.

> I have studied their code and their documentation some months ago, I
> have also followed some of their mailling lists for sometime and that is
> not that obvious to me.
>
> I do NOT prefer what they call community. I do not find their code that
> good. I do not like their documentation that much.
>
> JBoss success has a lot to do with the lack of credible alternative for
> something with a lot of demand

I think it is more than that though...they have worked to develop a
community and a LOT of interest. At least that is what their website
suggests. It could be a result of what you say, but Jakarta's success isn't
necessarily because of our projects or our community...it is because of the
Apache name behind it.

>, unlike Jakarta products like Tomcat or
> Velocity.

Velocity isn't that successful compared with projects like Tomcat or Struts.
There is only 500 people on the -user mailing list and 220 on the -dev
Velocity lists. Of course we don't have Sun marketing backing us though...
:-(

-jon