On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:02:55 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Package updates that break other packages is not an issue unique to
> the stable tree - we just have less tolerance for it there.  If
> libfoo-5 breaks stable systemd, then there needs to be coordination,
> just as is the case if libfoo-5 breaks stable xeyes or openoffice.

These are libraries; I don't see a direct problem, so I guess this
logic applies to a package like OpenRC or systemd as well. Good point.

> Usually in these situations things get straightened out and we're
> usually the better for it because such incompatibilities tend to be
> the result of brain-dead behavior in one upstream or the other.  If it
> can't be straightened out then sometimes we accept blocking deps/etc.

Oh, right, I forgot [1] about the possibility to block and stabilize
with the blocker; I wish I hadn't posted the "stabilize package combos"
thread now, but well, maybe some good thoughts could evolve from it.

Thank you for bringing this up!

 [1]: ... and want to blame my two weeks of absence ... :)

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D