On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:38:55 +0300
Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Not necessarily, one can opt to mask this combination and stabilize
> > this combination later by removing the mask; it's an implementation
> > detail, but certainly there's no need to imply that they must.
> >
> > Another example is that when you add a package to the tree, you are
> > not required to initially commit both an OpenRC unit and systemd
> > service file; you are suggested to provide them for the convenience
> > of the user, if you don't know systemd service files then you
> > aren't obligated to support them as far as I am aware of. There are
> > people that can help you in supporting them as well as following up
> > on their bugs; and if you wonder, the ebuild change to support a
> > systemd service is trivial.
>
> 1. There is huge difference between adding a new package that lacks
> feature and maintaining existing features.

True, that's why it's another example; as for my first paragraph, see
the mail <20130808204701.3b419e58@TOMWIJ-GENTOO> I just send out
titled "Multiple implementations shouldn't block Gentoo's progress.
Stabilize package combinations? (was: ...)" which details that.

(By the time of finishing this mail, it appears you've answered already)

> 2. When people say that something is trivial, my immediate reaction is
> fear. systemd is far from being trivial, but let's don't get into that
> one again.

systemd's triviality is irrelevant; this is an ebuild change, and I
don't see what you have fear of. A good way to deal with fear, is risk
analysis; in which of the following fields do you find to be a risk?

 1. Known knowns.
 2. Unknown knowns.
 3. Known unknowns.
 4. Unknown unknowns.

For what reason do you think that a particular field has a huge risk?
What do you anticipate happening? What is the risk worth fearing?

> > On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:57:15 +0300
> > Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I appreciate the discussion at debian, it is not wise to support
> > > [I am adding: at stable] more than one solution for layout.
> >
> > Can you share the link? I'm yet to see good reasoning why it's not
> > wise.
>
> Latest[1], you can search for "debian openrc" for more.
>
> [1]
> http://www.marshut.com/rnvrp/survey-answers-part-3-systemd-is-not-portable-and-what-this-means-for-our-ports.html

It not being portable indeed implies that it's not supportable on
certain architectures, platforms and so on it can't be ported to;
but that doesn't imply that we can't support more than one solution for
the layout for architectures, platforms and so on where it does work.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D