On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:30 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08/09/2013 09:36 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
>> It is not a regression if a new version of gnome mrequires systemd
>> and does not work with OpenRc; it is a design choice.
>
> We are not just talking about random ebuild features here that have been
> dropped. It's a MAJOR feature. And it _matters_ for gentoo. So it IS a
> _regression_.

How does not supporting OpenRC matter for Gentoo?  Gentoo isn't
OpenRC.  OpenRC is just one init system that Gentoo supports.  You can
run Gentoo without it - indeed you can run Gentoo without any init at
all (via Prefix).

> You see, I am not criticising the work of the gnome team, only the
> stabilization matter. I personally don't care about gnome, but about our
> policy to a certain extend. And I feel our policy is being violated
> here. Not because you ignore it, but because you disagree.

I don't see any policy being violated here.  If I did, I'd be happy to
ask that it be changed.  The Gnome team already plans to issue
news/docs/etc so that stable users don't get sidegraded or whatever
you want to call it without warning, and so that they understand the
full implications of upgrading to 3.8.  Once users do move to 3.8,
they're going to have a nice stable experience, just with a different
init system.

That's basically what stable is about IMHO.

Sure, systemd isn't completely supported by every package in the tree
with unit files/etc, but that has been steadily improving and all
indications are that this trend will continue.  Missing unit files are
also relatively easy for users to fetch on their own (and hopefully
submit back to us in bugs) - one of the main advantages of systemd is
that unit files are more cross-platform and there are examples
floating around for just about everything already.

Rich