The decision to depend on systemd for part of its functionality is with
gnome upstream, not the gnome team of Gentoo.

Pacho wrote a good summary of what is going on. I can see why OpenBSD
would provide the missing functionality of systemd for gnome (systemd
does not, and will not, exist on the *BSDs). Someone could provide the
missing functionality of systemd so that gnome could run without
systemd, or they could provide patches to gnome upstream to make sure it
works without the need for systemd.

I suggest that if you really want to keep this going, convincing gnome
upstream that running without systemd is still important is the way to
go, not taking it out on the Gentoo gnome team, and the best way to
convince gnome would probably be to provide patches.

All of the complaining and taking it out on our gnome team is not
productive. Asking our gnome team to carry downstream patches is also
not productive, because they would end up being forced to update these
patches against every new gnome release.

It is not a regression if a new version of gnome mrequires systemd
and does not work with OpenRc; it is a design choice.

The community doesn't need to decide whether systemd can go stable;
The community would only need to decide if we switch the default init
system to systemd. No one is proposing this.

Thanks for your time,

William Hubbs
Gentoo Developer and Council Member