> >I'm afraid you can't connect a modem to a hub (in this circumstance) :)
> >If your ADSL modem only has an ethernet port, your linux box will need two
> >network cards.  One to connect the PC to the hub, and one to connect the
> >PC to the modem.  If the modem has a USB port, and it's one of the
> >(relatively few) ADSL modems with a Linux driver, you could connect it via
> >USB and thus avoid the need for a second network card.
>
> Wrong ;)
> i used this config for a while (before buying a second NIC on my gateway
> ;p) :
> adsl model (ethernet) connected on hub, three pcs on th same hub (1 linux
> gateway, 2 workstation under linux/win XP)

Actually, I had SNET DSL for a while, and we had the same setup. We
connected the dsl modem to the hub, and we could all connect at the same
time. We would each get our own IP and everything. SNET sure did a good
job setting up their network. Also, if we went to the webpage where it
reports how many hours you used that month, the cgi script would often
crash because we had more hours than there are in a month.

Note that this is probably very rare :P

--
Zachary P. Landau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0x24E5AD99 | http://kapheine.hypa.net/kapheine.asc