> > Interesting sentiment. So, if Gentoo were to post on their front page
> > that they were full, enthusiastic supporters of terrorism, had in fact
> > helped to fund the 9/11 attacks, and were now in the process of
> > pulling money together to help fund a nuclear attack on NYC, you'd
> > just merrily keep sending them donations because the "quality of the
> > software is high"? Strange...
>
> * wrong, because if you START making such questions, you will end
>   in a world where Free Software delevopers have to demonstrate
>   politically rightness before being supported by their users...
>
> I don't like the idea of a world where
> libertarians support 'their' libertarian Free Software Developers
> and republicans support 'their' republican Free Software Developers
> only.
>
> Where would that end?

That would end pretty much where I'd want it to. What is a boycott, if not
people showing, by witholding their money, that they care about what
companies and groups do with that money? I know plenty of people that don't
buy Coors beer because they think Joseph Coors is a fascist. Or don't buy
Nike shoes because they believe Nike runs sweatshops in other countries that
employ children in obscene conditions. It's proper to funnel your money to
groups and organizations that behave in ways you approve of and to withold
money from those that don't.

Why should free software developers be any different? Of course I'd be far
more likely to donate to a libertarian-minded development team than a
hardcore republicrat group (as I am libertarian)! That sounds absolutely
right to me.

Think about your money as an extension of your own personal capabilities,
labor, and effort. If you are a libertarian and Rush Limbaugh were to ask
you to come on down to the street corner and help hold signs promoting his
extremely conservative views, I'd imagine you'd decline. However, what you
seem to be saying is that if Rush Limbaugh also ran a free software
development group that put out good quality software, you'd have no problem
donating to that group, even if you knew that the money would, in part, be
used to print up the very signs you had just refused to hold up! Had he
asked you to run the printing press, you'd have declined, but when asked to
pay the salary of someone who would, you're ok with that!

By the way, I'll be the first to admit I'm not diligent about knowing where
my money goes either. It's not like a do a background check on every company
I do business with or behind each product I buy. Who's got the time? I, like
everyone else, rely on a combination of blind hope and trust with the
thought that the media will uncover the worst of the abuses.

What I was really responding to were the posts from folks who claim that
they don't care where their money goes. There's a difference between not
knowing and not caring. I may not know where most or all of the money I
spend ultimately ends up, but I certainly do care. While that seems
contradictory, it basically means that while I recognize I don't have the
time or resources to fully research where my money goes, I will pay
attention when told and am willing to adjust my spending/donating behavior
in light of new information. It appears to me that those who claim they
don't care would not - they would just keep right on donating regardless of
what they learned was being done with the donated money. And that's sad.