On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 17:56, Yorkshire Dave wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 15:16, Janne Johansson wrote:
> > I do not know where you got your ideas form, nor do I care. I support
> > things that I think are right. I think Gentoo is a right thing, even
> > though it is from USA and I do not think that war on Iraq, Gulf war or
> > the Vietnam war were right.
>
> Just because they both originate from the same location doesn't mean
> they share the same viewpoint.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I believe that Gentoo Inc is paying taxes to
the US, but I can't be sure since I'm really not interested in taxation
issues either. But by donating (which I've done) I might be indirectly
supporting the breaking of the Kioto protocol or even war, and that is
not a nice thought.

Then again, I believe that Gentoo is politically neutral (or one of the
good guys) when it comes to thing outside the software industry and
inside software industry the definitely are among th good guys. Seems
like I'll be donating money in the future also (when I can afford it)
and my time when I can.

>  I'm in the UK, this country joined in the
> pillage of Iraq too, and my best efforts to stop it only lead to me
> being arrested and photos of the arrest appearing on various websites.

You wouldn't happen to have any URLs? I might want to see that picture.

> > But... am I using Gentoo because a) it is good (the best I've found) or
> > b) because I can't use Windows since MS supports Bush administration?
>
> I'd go with A, the benefits of B are just a useful by-product :)

I believe you're right. I use Windows at work, since I don't really have
a choice (developing windows software in C++), but other than that it's
Gentoo all the way. I wouldn't mind doing *nix programming for money,
but there aren't really that much (open) positions for *nig developers
(at least here in Finland).

--
Janne

"So act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for
the whole world." - Immanuel Kant