begin  quote
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:56:46 +0100
Redeeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> so, to produce the best quality mp3 with variable bitrate joint sterio
> 320kbps i shall do:

Here's from the quite good Lame Manual :

        Joint-stereo is the default mode for stereo files with VBR when -V  is
        more  than  4  or  fixed bitrates of 160kbs or less.  At higher fixed
        bitrates or higher VBR  settings, the  default is stereo.

> lame -m j -q 0 -v -b 32 -B 320 -V 0
>
> i guess 0 is best in -V too?

Yes, But I'm not sure you -want- to do -V 0. Really. (flac is a better
alternative)

> for ogg to get 320kbps joint sterio and variable bitrate i dont
> understand? does it do that automatically?

once more, do you want 320kbps, or 320kbs maximum?  Ogg Vorbis doesn't
have the "max is 320 kbps"  limit that mp3 does, so to limit Vorbis down
below 320 kbps just because lame does

as for stereo/ joint stereo,  ogg has one mode there, quite simplistic
but no quality tradeoff.

 more good information
man 1 oggenc
man 1 lame

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!