Tony Boom wrote:
Hello Billy,

BH> did you run those commands from with-in the actual X (Graphical) BH> environment?

A terminal from within kde, first time as root second as me.

This is going to sound bizarre, but the "solution" (actually, a brute-force hack, afaik) is to use the command

xhost +

to disable acl before you su to root.

Then root will probably have to

export $DISPLAY=:0.0 (or whatever your display is)

Then root can connect to the X server to see the result of the commands.

Don't ask. I don't know. Under Gentoo, I think this was related to "fun times with PAM" (but I didn't know these commands then); no idea why I had to learn them under SuSE, but they work for oneshots like this.

IIrc, you can also remove some -tcp-nolisten switch from the X server startup command to achieve the same effect more permanently, but I've not felt like restarting my X server to test it.

Hope this helps,
Holly