Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> [14-12-01 19:16]:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM,  <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > What is the difference here?
> > Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
> > to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
> > down?
> >

> About the only thing the kernel might have a role in is turning off
> the power.  Almost all of the shutdown logic is in userspace and it
> isn't surprising that copying scripts between distros is going to
> cause issues since the whole service management component varies
> GREATLY across distros.  Maybe if you're using systemd you could copy
> between distros since that is more standardized, but even then there
> can be differences.
>
> In a traditional sysvinit system usually shutting down is accomplished
> by changing runlevels, which immediately starts/stops anything in
> inittab (generally only gettys) and calls a script which does all the
> actual work.
>
> If the issue is that userspace shuts down fine but the system reboots
> instead of powering off that could be a couple of things which
> shouldn't be too hard to track down.  An obvious question is whether
> the hardware even supports being powered off in the first place - this
> isn't an ATX motherboard.  Powering off a system can sometimes be
> remarkably tricky depending on how standardized the platform is.  I
> was reading an article on it a few years ago and I think linux
> actually implements several different mechanisms that get tried in
> series, with the final fallback being a halt without powering off.
>
> --
> Rich

Hi Rich,

AH! :) Thanks for the informations!

>From what you say, it is a kernel problem, since the kernel
is the one who switches off the lights...

But even if I use the same kernel as used for the Debian system
it does not work...

May be shutdown says "power off the system" and the kernel understands
"reboot the system"?
I mean: In principle the kernel would be able to poweroff the system
but there are some communications difficulties with the guys from
userland? ;)

Best regards,
Meino