Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I read where someone did this but I can't find it now.  I looked at the
> wiki and did some startpage searches, no luck.  Here goes:
>
> I generally let emerge build packages in parallel. This works because a
> lot of packages are small and don't take long to build or much room
> either.  However, there are a few exceptions.  For me, Seamonkey,
> Firefox and Libreoffice cause issues.  I would like those to build one
> at a time instead of at the same time.  I've had times where all three
> have updates but having two of them at the same time occurs pretty
> regular.  I thought I recalled this needing to be in package.env but my
> test didn't work.  I put this in package.env:
>
> www-client/seamonkey  MAKEOPTS="-j1"
> www-client/firefox  MAKEOPTS="-j1"
>
> Since I'm here, you can guess that emerge didn't like that.  So, either
> I'm putting that in the wrong place, the wrong way or something.  Oh, I
> looked at the wiki and I didn't see things like this.  I just went with
> what little I recalled which seems to be not correct.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction here?  Examples would be
> nice because I may want to disable portage on tmpfs as well, for
> Libreoffice at least.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I found another howto.  That ended with this setup:

root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/package.env
www-client/seamonkey  ../env/single.conf
www-client/firefox  ../env/single.conf

root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/env/single.conf
MAKEOPTS="-j1"

root@fireball / #

>From my reading, I put the setting in the env directory file and the
package names in package.env.  Thing is, it still tries to build them
both at the same time.  Once I get these two to work, I'll add
libreoffice to it.

My first test gave a error message.  I added the ../env/ part and it
doesn't give a error but it doesn't recognize it either.  I'm missing
something.  My eyes ain't real good today, allergies, so I may be not
seeing something right.

Dale

:-)  :-)