Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 05:22:19 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> The biggest reason I needed to do this is that I usually have portage's
>> work directory on tmpfs.  I just don't have enough memory to do them all
>> at the same time, one at a time would work tho.  If I ever get around to
>> upgrading to 32GBs, then this won't matter.
> I get round this in another way
>
> % cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
> app-office/libreoffice ccache.conf disk-tmpdir.conf
>
> % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
> PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
>
> There, the larger packages use spinning rust for $TMPDIR. This not only
> means I can merge more than one of them at once, it also means I can use
> my computer for other things while it's happening.

The last time I ummounted it from tmpfs and some of my processes were
killed when it was done.  I had walked off so I didn't see it but I
strongly suspect it ran out of memory as well.  That said, I know all
three, Seamonkey, Firefos and Libreoffice, were in the update list but I
don't know for sure if they were the only three emerging at one time.
In other words, it may have been that those three were updating plus
some others as well.  When I came back, Seamonkey, Firefox, a couple
instances of Dolphin and a couple other programs were closed.  Also,
swap was maxed out.  That was my biggest tip that it ran out of memory.
In the past, I've seen it max out swap and then start killing other
processes.

My hope was to wrestle those three under control in a way that they
would only do one at a time without me having to monitor it or split the
process.  If I could do that, then I think the rest would be workable.

Maybe one of the devs will add this nifty feature one day.  I figure it
will happen right after I upgrade my memory and no longer need it.  ROFL

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)