Johannes Rosenberger wrote:
> On 11.02.2017 10:39, Dale wrote:
>> Mick wrote:
>>> This is how I have configured per package FEATURES here and it seems to
>>> work.
>>> For example configuring ccache for large packages which take days to emerge
>>> on
>>> an old PC:
>>>
>>> # cat /etc/portage/env/ccache.conf
>>> FEATURES="ccache"
>>>
>>> Now I need to point particular package(s) to it:
>>>
>>> # cat /etc/portage/package.env
>>> app-office/libreoffice ccache.conf
>>> www-client/firefox ccache.conf
>>> www-client/chromium ram_limit.conf ccache.conf
>>>
>>> If I want more packages to use ccache.conf I add their name/version in the
>>> /etc/portage/package.env file.
>>>
>> I just tried copying your way, except for the setting I want, and it
>> didn't work.  I'm wondering if it just won't do this particular setting
>> for some reason.
>>
>> I've tried having package.env as a file and as a directory.  It didn't
>> like either way.  Either it can't do this or I'm missing something
>> really simple here.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
> I think the problem is that you can change FEATURES but not emerge
> arguments while emerging since ebuild(1) is invoked fore every package
> but emerge(1) once for all.
>
> So I see two possible solutions here:
>
> 1. Dump the list of packages to install via emerge -p. Then split the
> list up and chain
>    emerge invocations (possibly with arg --nodeps) such that the
> non-parallel
>    packages will be invoked separately.
> 2. Use emerge options -j and --load-average so that no new ebuilds are
> started
>    while one uses much cpu load. In my experience this does not
> unparallellize
>    reliably but I am trying out to use higher job  and load limits in
> MAKEOPTS
>    than in emerge args so single packages that can utilize the whole cpu
> do so before
>    emerge intervenes and starts another ebuild.
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Johannes

Based on this and Neil's reply, I may just have to tell it to exclude
updating those when I do my regular updates.  Then go back and tell it
to do them later one at a time.

The biggest reason I needed to do this is that I usually have portage's
work directory on tmpfs.  I just don't have enough memory to do them all
at the same time, one at a time would work tho.  If I ever get around to
upgrading to 32GBs, then this won't matter.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)