On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 05:22:19 -0600, Dale wrote:

> The biggest reason I needed to do this is that I usually have portage's
> work directory on tmpfs.  I just don't have enough memory to do them all
> at the same time, one at a time would work tho.  If I ever get around to
> upgrading to 32GBs, then this won't matter.

I get round this in another way

% cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
app-office/libreoffice ccache.conf disk-tmpdir.conf

% cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"

There, the larger packages use spinning rust for $TMPDIR. This not only
means I can merge more than one of them at once, it also means I can use
my computer for other things while it's happening.

--
Neil Bothwick

Bury a lawyer 12 feet under, because deep down they're nice.