On Sunday, 23 June 2024 08:53:01 BST Dale wrote:
> Top posting for consistency.
>
> I booted the Gentoo GUI media.  I opened a window just in case it
> rebooted or something while I took a little nap.  The resolution is
> 1080P which is what I expected the monitor to run at.  When I got back
> up a few minutes ago, the same window was there.  It ran for hours
> without the monitor powering off.  I think this eliminates hardware.

Yes!  :-)

> I also found something new.  I can go in the BIOS menu and boot a USB
> stick directly from that by just clicking on it.  O_O  WOW!!!  I said
> the new BIOS had improved by a lot.  Can that thing wash dishes too???
> LOL

It is the same as the legacy BIOS in this respect, only the GUI is different.
With the old BIOS you would press F2 or Delete at POST and then go into the
boot menu to select 'Removable Media' or some such.

> Still open to ideas if anyone has any.  If not, I may safe key files and
> start over, and fix my partition layout too.

Diff the settings used by the LiveUSB and the settings you have configured on
your installation.  Starting over with your installation, only to follow the
same path and without *knowing* what you need to change, will not necessarily
resolve your issue.