On Sunday, 23 June 2024 13:19:18 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > On Sunday, 23 June 2024 08:53:01 BST Dale wrote:
> >> Top posting for consistency.
> >>
> >> I booted the Gentoo GUI media.  I opened a window just in case it
> >> rebooted or something while I took a little nap.  The resolution is
> >> 1080P which is what I expected the monitor to run at.  When I got back
> >> up a few minutes ago, the same window was there.  It ran for hours
> >> without the monitor powering off.  I think this eliminates hardware.
> >
> > Yes!  :-)
>
> I was worried that $100 video card I bought, most I ever spent on a
> video card, was for nothing.  I'd hate for it to be defective somehow.
>
> >> I also found something new.  I can go in the BIOS menu and boot a USB
> >> stick directly from that by just clicking on it.  O_O  WOW!!!  I said
> >> the new BIOS had improved by a lot.  Can that thing wash dishes too???
> >> LOL
> >
> > It is the same as the legacy BIOS in this respect, only the GUI is
> > different. With the old BIOS you would press F2 or Delete at POST and
> > then go into the boot menu to select 'Removable Media' or some such.
>
> Well, on this one, I thought I was going to select it for a temporary
> boot after exiting the BIOS, one time thing, but when I clicked it, the
> menu screen for Knoppix popped up.  I didn't exit the BIOS or anything.
> Just click and off it went to boot what I clicked.  o_O
>
> >> Still open to ideas if anyone has any.  If not, I may safe key files and
> >> start over, and fix my partition layout too.
> >
> > Diff the settings used by the LiveUSB and the settings you have configured
> > on your installation.  Starting over with your installation, only to
> > follow the same path and without *knowing* what you need to change, will
> > not necessarily resolve your issue.
>
> That's my thinking.  The only benefit to reinstalling is correcting the
> partition boo boo.

What in particular are you referring to?  I thought you created an ESP, / and
/home partitions, if I recall.

> I also might learn something, maybe.  Of course,
> there is that blind squirrel tho.  I think I'll get the config file info
> from the Gentoo media tho.
>
> Since my last message, it's been sitting on a Knoppix screen.  It's
> still sitting there just like I left it for my second nap.  So, hardware
> is certainly in the clear.  A config issue is the problem, which means I
> was right, I missed something.  Somewhere.
>
> Now to go find it.  ;?

See what config files (if any) may have been created for Xorg, what drivers
are loaded for your graphics, what kernel modules are in play.

lspci -knn

for other drivers too.

Also save dmesg to compare with your kernel's output.

PS. It's getting warmer and noticed on an older PC the temperatures were
creeping up a bit and the fans were getting louder.  Last time I applied
thermal paste on its CPU was in 2017.  So, I took it apart, cleaned it and re-
applied fresh, very expensive, thermal paste.  Well, I fell off my seat after
I restarted it and run cpuburn on it for 10 minutes on all cores.  A 19%
reduction in CPU temperature!!  0_0