Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 23 June 2024 13:19:18 BST Dale wrote:
>>
>> That's my thinking.  The only benefit to reinstalling is correcting the
>> partition boo boo.
> What in particular are you referring to?  I thought you created an ESP, / and
> /home partitions, if I recall.

I was thinking the EFI partition, ef02, and /boot were the same
partition.  I only created one that was huge.  I made the ef02 partition
8GBs I think when 8MBs would have been more than enough from what I've
read.  I kinda like /boot on its own partition.  If /boot gets corrupted
somehow, I can get the kernel and config again from /usr/src/linux.
Building the init thingy again is trivial.  So is reinstalling grub.  If
I were to lose root somehow, I'd have to reinstall but I got the kernel
and its config file.  It ain't much but it's something.  As it is, /boot
is on the same partition as root.  If root goes bad, all is lost, except
for any backup copies I might have.  If I redo the install, I'd have a
EFI partition and a separate /boot partition as well.  The EFI would be
like 8MBs or so and the /boot partition would be ext2 and 8GBs or so.
Plenty of room for expansion.

>> I also might learn something, maybe.  Of course,
>> there is that blind squirrel tho.  I think I'll get the config file info
>> from the Gentoo media tho.
>>
>> Since my last message, it's been sitting on a Knoppix screen.  It's
>> still sitting there just like I left it for my second nap.  So, hardware
>> is certainly in the clear.  A config issue is the problem, which means I
>> was right, I missed something.  Somewhere.
>>
>> Now to go find it.  ;?
> See what config files (if any) may have been created for Xorg, what drivers
> are loaded for your graphics, what kernel modules are in play.
>
> lspci -knn
>
> for other drivers too.
>
> Also save dmesg to compare with your kernel's output.
>
> PS. It's getting warmer and noticed on an older PC the temperatures were
> creeping up a bit and the fans were getting louder.  Last time I applied
> thermal paste on its CPU was in 2017.  So, I took it apart, cleaned it and re-
> applied fresh, very expensive, thermal paste.  Well, I fell off my seat after
> I restarted it and run cpuburn on it for 10 minutes on all cores.  A 19%
> reduction in CPU temperature!!  0_0

I saved messages, sddm log and the Xorg log.  Honestly tho, they will be
different because the live DVD uses the kernel drivers, nouveau, where I
use Nvidia.  Still, I got them anyway.

Several years ago, I took the CPU cooler off my main rig.  I dunked the
fin part into some heavy duty cleaner that cleans off dirt and dust.
They wasn't to bad really since I blow them clean with compressed air
from my compressor pretty regular.  Still, it looked new when I was
done.  I used alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the old paste off of the
base.  The original paste was what came with the CPU I think.  I'm
pretty sure I put Arctic Silver on the second time.  I can't remember
the exact amount but it did cool better after a few updates and some
compiling.  I don't know if it was the fin cleaning or the thermal paste
or both tho.  I think Arctic Silver is still considered a good brand and
very good product.  I'm pretty sure it never dries out.  Even some
cheaper generic brands are quite good.

I'm going to compare some data between the Gentoo live DVD and my
install.  If I don't see something obvious, I'm going to fix my
partition boo boo with a fresh start.  While at it.  What is the best
way to wipe the partition data from a m.2 stick?  They not spinning rust
so don't want to try to dd or use shred on the whole thing.  Doesn't
gdisk have a wipe partition option?  Curious what you think is the best
way to do that.  Don't want to shorten the life of my m.2 stick.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  Ended up with a LOT of dried basil.  Now I'm drying hot banana
and jalapeno peppers.  Suspect my eyes will water when I warm up
supper.  '_'