On 09/12/2008 12:55 PM, Robert Bridge wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:42:09 +0200
Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 12 September 2008 02:51:21 Dale wrote:
Get a Yahoo email account and pay for POP access, about $20.00 a
year I think.
Use Gmail rather. It's cheaper - can't get cheaper than free - and
just works better.
I second the Gmail suggestion, though Yahoo does provide free POP
access as it happens (I have it).

I use Yahoo (with POP) only because I do not want my email address to change. What has to be added about this: getting a POP or SMTP connection with SSL as transport is kind of gambling on Yahoo's servers, at least in Germany.

My logic for seconding the suggestion is I have recently experienced
e-mails from my server going missing after entering the Yahoo system.
They are the ONLY email provider where this has happened to me.

This comes from Yahoo's spam policies and their idea of defending spam. They send '451 Message temporarily deferred' to all not white-listed mail servers, which results either in a very long time for delivery or in the mail not being delivered at all. [1,2,Personal Experience]

To put it in a nutshell, I would prefer gmail over Yahoo-mail, even if there are some discussions about privacy issues with gmail.

[1] http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/postmaster-25.html
[2] http://www.ahfx.net/weblog.php?article=107

Best Regards,
Christian Franke