On 13 Sep 2008, at 09:28, Christian Franke wrote:
I use Yahoo (with POP) only because I do not want my email address to change. What has to be added about this: getting a POP or SMTP connection with SSL as transport is kind of gambling on Yahoo's servers, at least in Germany.

Get an alternative email address now and start slowly migrating to it. In 5 years time you will no longer be using your Yahoo address and you will be able to drop it and save $20 per year. I appreciate it is a great deal of inconvenience to *suddenly* drop a current email addy, but you'll find it less of a hardship in some years time to drop an addy you no longer have a need for.

I would advise getting your own domain because then you are no longer ultimately beholden to any 3rd-party provider. You can change to someone who gives a better service or run your own mail-server, handle inbound SMTP and have *complete* control over incoming mail.

I advise this as someone who has been locked out of his Yahoo account - they arbitrarily changed my password and refuse to help me using any of their password recovery mechanisms. (if anyone can suggest a real & useful way of resolving this I would love to hear it)

After writing this I realise I've advised you to save $20 a year, but that the domain will have costs associated (since you're on dial-up you can't fully self-host, as I do). Maybe just start using an additional Gmail account now and worry about the domain in the future. You can get a free email domain from eu.org and you can probably find a DNS host who will redirect your mail to a yahoo address cheaply, though.

Stroller.