  Ben> Basically, patents are intended to protect ideas.

Well, that is the way they are used, but they were *intended* to
foster invention and innovation by rewarding the inventor/innovator
with a 17(?) year span of exclusivity during which they could patent
that invention/innovation.  Unfortunately, it seems to have done
exactly the opposite of this :(

  Ben> Two people can write two articles about the same thing, and
  Ben> that is perfectly legal.  But one person cannot just copy the
  Ben> other person's article without permission.

Yeah, just ask the New York Times about that, they seem to know all
about plagiarism and lying, to the point where if you're good enough,
they'll even promote you for it ;)

  Ben> The law regarding "trade secrets" I really don't understand,
  Ben> myself.

Yeah, I've never quite gotten this either.  You declare it as a trade
secret, but don't file a patent on it because that would release the
trade secret to the public.  But without the patent, in theory, you
have no protection.  So, what good does declaring it a 'trade secret'
do you if anyone can come along and "think up" the same thing?
--

Seeya,
Paul