Heather Brodeur wrote:
> Bruce Dawson wrote:
>>Ted Roche wrote:
>>>I'm not sure we have an easy way to distinguish email addresses.
>>>
>>Yes, but we don't have a good way of ensuring only one person gets a
>>vote. Actually, I think this was discussed on the general mailing some
>>time ago - I just can't find it.
>
> Perhaps I'm being a bit over simplistic, but shouldn't we just require
> registration to vote?  If someone wants to be a "voting member" they
> have to let us know who they are, where to find them, and what their
> aliases are.  If someone wants to remain anonymous to the list or
> chapters (or SIGs), fine, but they aren't eligible to vote.  Do we
> really expect that people would make up and register multiple
> personalities just to skew the vote?

Sure, we can do that. I just want to be in the position of "I told you
so.", and pray that I don't have to ;-)

BTW: Back in the mid-to-late-90's I was a member of a UG that had a
vendor try to "take over" by doing exactly this (they wanted to get rid
of the non-commercialization policy). However, people got suspicious
when about 30 names showed up one day from the same domain. A more
sophisticated "attack" is easy, and harder to detect. I believe they
subsequently required a physical presence at a meeting to vote.

--Bruce