Heather Brodeur wrote:
> Bruce Dawson wrote:
>
>>BTW: Back in the mid-to-late-90's I was a member of a UG that had a
>>vendor try to "take over" by doing exactly this (they wanted to get rid
>>of the non-commercialization policy). However, people got suspicious
>>when about 30 names showed up one day from the same domain. A more
>>sophisticated "attack" is easy, and harder to detect. I believe they
>>subsequently required a physical presence at a meeting to vote.
>
> I'm a bit confused.  Did one person make up a bunch of email addresses
> at the same company/domain, or did the company ask a bunch of employees
> to join/vote?  I'd hate to see us have to require physical presence to
> vote, I don't think we'd get a representative cross section that way.

I was just a member at the time and don't remember the details. Sorry.
In fact, I can't even remember if it was a SwANH, GNSEG, or BCS
affiliated group (Jerry Feldman or David Marston might remember the
incident).

I just remember the incident because I thought it was a novel and
innovative way of running a dispersed group, and yet the same old
gremlin managed to wreck havoc with the high-tech system as it did with
the low-tech systems before it.

It also showed me the benefits and problems with having a "universal
serial number" like a SSN.

Voting is a non-trivial problem. Probably why in the 50,000+ years of
human existence, it only came into existence in the last 200, and why
we're still having problems with it.

--Bruce