Bruce Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wonder if those people are on the -org list? (Or have their eyes
> glassed over with "yet another of the incorporation go-rounds") ;-)

I'm a lot behind in my non-discuss list reading, but my this was my
very first upon seeing Ted's initial post :)

>> I'm not sure we have an easy way to distinguish email addresses.
>
> Yes, but we don't have a good way of ensuring only one person gets a
> vote. Actually, I think this was discussed on the general mailing some
> time ago - I just can't find it.

How about:

  If you want to have a vote, you need to provide a GPG key
  which is registered at some public key server?

This provides several checks and balances:

 1. It makes sure we can assign one vote per GPG key, which, though
    not definitively meets the "one vote per human being" definition,
    is probably "good enough"

 2. It allows us to verify each vote, since these should be either
    signed or encrypted with that voters key.

 3. It makes sure no one can vote "on behalf of" another voter without
    their knowledge.

 4. It ensures that anyone who is really interested in voting will at
    least take the trouble to bother learning about encryption and
    getting their mail client and GPG config set up correctly.

 5. It provices GNHLUG with a ready-made key-ring/web-o-trust.

 6. For a "list of official members" we could search a GPG keyserver
    for GNHLUG :)

--

Seeya,
Paul