On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Well, I don't believe that anyone comes to our meeting for the door prizes
> and the freebies.

  I seem to recall the raffle system came about due to lack of a better way to
distribute all the junk^H^H^H^H^H generous donations various companies and
organizations have given to GNHLUG.  ;-) [1]

> As for a certain group being too business, technical, or newbie focused or
> whatever, all I can say is come up with ideas and volunteer to give the
> presentation.

  Or even just come up with ideas.  If push comes to shove, we can usually
find *someone* willing to talk on a given subject.  But if nobody is willing
to push for that subject, we're not going to shove back, so to speak.

> Now we have roughly 5 meetings/month happening all around the state.  So,
> technically, the turnout has increased at least 5 fold :)

  I thought it was just the same 10 people at all five meetings?  ;-)

> All in all, I think we're doing pretty well.

  *nod, nod*

> If anyone person wants change, then they themselves have as much power to
> affect and provide that change as those of us "running" the meetings do.

  Here, here!  Despite Jerry's attempt to seize power [2] ;-), GNHLUG is still
very much a user-run organization.  If you don't like how something is, speak
up, jump in, or otherwise cause a ruckus.  You don't want me to have all the
fun, do you?  ;-)

Footnotes
---------

[1] If any sponsor happens to read this message, please note that I'm kidding.
We might make jokes about TurboLinux CDs and everything, but such materials
have proved to be immensely valuable in spreading Linux to the uninitiated.
Keep 'em coming!  :-)

[2] I'm kidding, Jerry!  :-)  You do a great job, and I think we're all *very*
happy -- not to mention lucky -- to have someone like you who is willing to
put in so much personal time and effort -- not to mention money -- to help run
this thing we call GNHLUG.  You don't get nearly enough thanks. [3] [4]

[3] Thanks, Jerry!

[4] Thanks also to the various event coordinators for getting people together,
finding places to meet, finding speakers, and -- possibly hardest of all --
putting up with me.  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>