----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth E. Lussier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Kenny Donahue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "gnhlug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Apache server attbi question

> If you are inside your network, and you are pointing the browser at
the
> external ip address, you may need to go through an external proxy to
> properly route the traffic out then back in. It is possible that ATT
is
> blocking incomming http, but that is doubtful. You could give us the
IP
> address, and we could check it out from the outside ;-)

I have found this to  be the case with my setup, but I thought it was
due to my SMC router. When I set up a virtual host in the router to
route http port 80 to my internal machine (192.168.1.x) port 80, the web
site is NOT visible from inside the network, but it IS visible to people
outside. We have this same problem here at work with Microsoft's RAS
router software too. I don't know what the mechanism is, but somehow,
outgoing http requests to the same IP address are being ignored instead
of looped back.

Changing the port to something different either on the inside or outside
does not affect this behavior.

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES