On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> I believe what causes this is that the router forwards the source IP
> and port (that of the client) to the virtual host as-is (i.e. it does
> not NAT the client).  Since the IP address is internal, the server
> sends the traffic to it directly, rather than back through the router.
> The client is expecting a reply from www.myhost.com, but the return
> traffic appears to come from 192.168.x.x instead of www.myhost.com, so
> the IP stack throws it out.

This is really interesting as I'm not seeing any of this with my setup.
Technically, I should be, as I have a very similar setup.  If this is, in
fact the cause, I'd like to try and reproduce it.

My setup is as follows, if someone has an idea what I can change to
reproduce this, it'd be great to know, or if it helps someone get past
this problem, great!

Cablemodem -> Switch (32 Port 802.1Q support) on Vlan 1
Linksys WAN -> Switch on Vlan 1 (Public)
Linksys LAN -> Switch on Vlan 2 (RFC1918)
Linux box -> Switch on Vlan 2
Windows PC -> Switch on Vlan 2

Linksys WAN Addr. Port 80, 25, 22 forwards to linux box

Linux:
        hostname blackavar.com
        DHCP server serving RFC1918 space (the linksys's is limited)
        DNS Server for RFC1918 hosts
        80 - Apache 1.3.22

I can access both the RFC1918 IP or the Public IP from the Windows PC
without any problems.  I don't believe this was at all different when I
went direct into the Linksys's built in switch...  Shouldn't be, even in
this case.

--

Distant water won't help to put out a fire close at hand.