Dear Jorge/Livia de Abreu Noronha,

>OK, agreed that recent literature refers
> to "malcorada" as "mankurad"; but this doesn't mean that "mankurad" is
> correct, does it?

*Yes, it does, particularly as there was incorrect description in the first
place as even you have agreed. Democratic choice of the people!  A Bloodless
Revolution!  Small wonder that malcorda got changed to mancurada and then to
mankurad.

> Yes, I did find it. But there are also other names which are distortions
> from the original Portuguese names like "mussarat" instead of
"monserrate",
> "fernandin" and "furtad" instead of "fernandina" and "furtado", "malgesh"
> instead of "malgessa", "culas" instead of "colaco" (2nd "c" with cedilla)
> and "sakri" instead of "sacarina". So what? As  English is now more and
more
> a "global" language, perhaps we must eventually bow to whatever
aberrations
> (like the above) crop up in this language, in detriment to the purity of
the
> original Portuguese words. I have no blinkers whatsoever.

*Thanks for proving my point that language adapts to phonetic variations and
local practices.  It is what keeps language alive or we would be writing in
Middle English here!

> > You wrote previously:
> >     >The correct term is "mal corada" = "poorly coloured" or "ill
> coloured"
> > and nobody  seems
> >     >to know why such a name was given to it, as both inside and outside
> its
> > colour is good.
> > I not only accepted that it was called malcorda but offered an
explanation
> > why this was so.  Do you accept that as plausible?
> >
> No problem about the explanation offered by you: it is plausible, yes,
> although I don't believe that the yellow colour (as opposed to the red
one)
> has anything to do with it.

*A Google search revealed  at:
http://www.marketag.com/ma/bulletins/ph/mangoes.stm this:
"Successful sales of mangoes can be achieved only with acceptable stages of
ripeness for consumption, uniform size grading and stages of ripeness, and
absence of disease or damage. In some markets, such as the United Kingdom
and the United States, a red blush typical of the Florida-type varieties is
preferred; other markets, such as France and the Asian  in the United
Kingdom, prefer mangoes that ripen to green to yellow coloration."

*Note the last word, "coloration." Is ir correct?  Is it acceptable?

Best wishes,

Eddie Fernandes