----- Original Message -----
From: "Viviana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sunila Muzawar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Goanet] Re: TIMES: Balcony View

> Sunila et al - doesn't "malcurado" mean poorly cured??  "Cor" is colour,
> "curado" comes from the verb "curar" which means "to cure" - maybe Theo or
Paulo
> can help us figure this out.
>
> Viviana

You are right, Viviana, "mal curado" (in this case, "mal curada" because it
is an adjective which has to agree with "manga" [Portuguese for "mango"] and
"manga" is feminine) means "poorly cured", and I think we all agree that
this delicious variety of mango cannot be (and never was) deemed to be
poorly cured. The correct term is "mal corada" = "poorly coloured" or "ill
coloured" and nobody now seems to know why such a name was given to it, as
both inside and outside its colour is good. Fernando do Rego, Deputy
Director of  Agriculture of Goa (Rtd.) has this to say (I am translating
from Portuguese): "Malcorada is the most popular variety in Goa and the one
which fructifies before all the others in mid March. Contrarily to what its
name seems to indicate - as opposed to another variety, the BEMCORADA - the
fruit has a very attractive colour. There are a number of subtypes and some
of them produce a very fibrous fruit. ... Singh is of the opinion that it is
the second most delicious variety in India, because of the orange colour of
its pulp,its pleasant aroma and sweetness and because it is very juicy. But
Daljit Singh errs when he says that the production centres of the Malcorada
are the villages of Vengurla and Malwan in the neighbouring State of
Maharashtra, from where it spread to Goa which is not far. To prove how much
it is an erroneous statement suffice it to note that these areas have never
been under Portuguese occupation so that this mango should bear so
significant a name".

Jorge