Hi Eddie,

I too smell a trap in your last e-mail :-)).

1. If you read the first e-mail from Gilbert, he starts this thread by
mentioning that "malcurad" or "malcurada" are corruptions of the original
Portuguese malcorada name. So, obviously you will not find "malcurad" in a
Portuguese dictionary. The task you ask me is also impossible and you know
it very well beforehand.

2. As our Fred Noronha says and very well, malcorada in Portuguese means
poor colour - mal corada. And that is exactly what the developer/creator of
Malcorada Mangoes had in mind when he/she named that tree Malcorada
(according to Eng. Agr. Fernando do Rego - Fontainhas -Goa - who has written
an excellent and extensive study about Goan Mangoes and also according to
other authors who have written about Goan mangoes). There are also many
poems written in Portuguese about Goan Mangoes where you will find
"malcorada" name. Malcorada Mango was first developed in Goa and sent to the
other colonies from Brazil to Macau.

3. I always agreed it is today commonly known as "mankurad". But it does
lose the meaning of the word or does mankurad mean "poor colour" in Konkani?
I am not only referring to the origin of the word but also to the meaning of
it.

4. Apart from "mankurad", my previous posts also mention other
words/examples, which you chose to ignore. Don't you agree that our Goans
have a tendency to remove the last vowel from words? This ultimately
contributes for the corruption of the originals. "Vestid" as opposed to
vestido, "jurament" as opposed to juramento, etc
Even for some names: Fernand as opposed to Fernando, Francisc as opposed to
Francisco, etc.

5. Catholics are a minority of Konkani speakers from all Konkan region and
other parts of India. The Konkani spoken by catholic Goans is indeed
different and strongly influenced by other languages. This is now changing
with children learning true Konkani (hopefully) from early ages at school,
which I believe is good.
Does a Hindu Konkani speaker know what "vestid" means ? or "cozinha" or
"jurament" or "sucegad"? I doubt it ! Maybe some of them will know through
past exposure to Portuguese language but majority from Konkan region will
probably not know.
But these are some of the words our Goan catholics use and often with the
wrong spellings. Do you say these are now Konkani words?

6. Konkani is not originally in roman script and therefore when one writes
it in Roman script one can use different spellings. It is the sound that
counts ... Fine. The same happens with Arabic language when written in roman
script (very rarely happens except for Arabic names).
But foreign words, which are not Konkani, should have their spellings
preserved. I note that Goans know the English spellings well but ignore the
correct Portuguese spellings mostly because of lack of detail and concern in
writing it with the correct spelling. This is my opinion and the message I
wanted to transmit.

7. This is also my last post on this subject. My friend, you are free to
disagree and add these foreign words to your own Roman Script Konkani
dictionary if you wish.

Best regards to you and Lira,
Paulo Colaco Dias