Dear Eddie,

> >OK, agreed that recent literature refers
> > to "malcorada" as "mankurad"; but this doesn't mean that "mankurad" is
> > correct, does it?
>
> *Yes, it does, particularly as there was incorrect description in the
first
> place as even you have agreed. Democratic choice of the people!  A
Bloodless
> Revolution!  Small wonder that malcorda got changed to mancurada and then
> mankurad.

1) Which "incorrect description" are you referring to?  And even assuming
that there was one, that "incorrect description" (whatever it is) does by no
means prove that "mankurad" is correct; yes, it has entered the current
Konkani (and, by way of it, also the current English) vocabulary and we have
to bow to it, but having to bow to it and to accept it does not prove its
correctness.  2) "Malcorada" (not "malcorda") did never get changed to
"mancurada". It is in colloquial Konkani that the variety came, with the
passage of time, to be called "mangcurad" or "mangkurad" and now became
"mankurad".

> > > You wrote previously:
> > >     >The correct term is "mal corada" = "poorly coloured" or "ill
> > coloured"
> > > and nobody  seems
> > >     >to know why such a name was given to it, as both inside and
outside
> > its
> > > colour is good.
> > > I not only accepted that it was called malcorda but offered an
> explanation
> > > why this was so.  Do you accept that as plausible?
> > >
> > No problem about the explanation offered by you: it is plausible, yes,
> > although I don't believe that the yellow colour (as opposed to the red
> one)
> > has anything to do with it.
>
> *A Google search revealed  at:
> http://www.marketag.com/ma/bulletins/ph/mangoes.stm this:
> "Successful sales of mangoes can be achieved only with acceptable stages
of
> ripeness for consumption, uniform size grading and stages of ripeness, and
> absence of disease or damage. In some markets, such as the United Kingdom
> and the United States, a red blush typical of the Florida-type varieties
is
> preferred; other markets, such as France and the Asian  in the United
> Kingdom, prefer mangoes that ripen to green to yellow coloration."
>
> *Note the last word, "coloration." Is ir correct?  Is it acceptable?

You have proved your point that "in some markets, such as the United Kingdom
and the United States, a red blush ... is preferred". But it was not the
Britishers nor the Americans but the Portuguese who named the variety
"malcorada"; and it has not yet been proved that the Portuguese also
preferred a red blush to yellow, and so I maintain what I said earlier, that
"nobody seems to know why such a name was given to it". - And what about the
word "coloration"? "Coloration" and "colouration" are both found in an
English dictionary, so they are both acceptable (perhaps "coloration" is
more used in the U.S. and "colouration" in the U.K.).

Jorge