>> The fact still remains that unlike a lot of other proposed languages
additions that are immediately dropped, generics are still open for
discussion by the language developers themselves.

I think that the problerm only in the Go developers brcause them even does
try to implement them experimentally.
That is so called "hidden" implementation when the runtime engine supports
the feature but compiler does not.
That is, available for testing only through the reflection but without
grammar specification on that how to declare and use time at compile time.
As for me, they should have them (support of the generic types) in the
runtime engine and in the reflection for the testing purpose but does not
introduce them until they not decide that them are ready for real use.