On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 4:19 PM Space A. <reexist...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The discussion of whether or not generics will be added to Go has been
> going on for more than a decade.
> That's a lie. There has never been a question of "add it or not". It was
> always "we will add them" sooner or later.

It is somewhat amusing, though ultimately frustrating, that for ten years
people where misquoting the Go team to say they categorically reject
generics and now that a decision has been made to add them, they are being
misquoted as saying they will *definitely* add them, sooner or later.

Both are not true. The stance has always been (demonstrably
<https://github.com/golang/go/blob/dd64f86e0874804d0ec5b7138dafc28b51f61c12/doc/go_lang_faq.html#L170>
since
before the open sourcing of Go) that generics *may* come at some point, *if
they can figure out a way that gives value commensurate with their
complexity.* This messaging has been consistent.

Even for this specific push (which started with the contracts design)
whenever Ian, Russ, Robert or anyone else on the Go team has been asked if
generics *will* be added, the response has been a consistent "if we find an
approach that gives value commensurate with their complexity. We are
hopeful that this one does, but we will see". The first time anyone has
actually said generics *will* be added was when the proposal was marked as
accepted <https://github.com/golang/go/issues/43651#issuecomment-776944155>.
And I wouldn't condone the use of "always" for "since about a month ago"
any more than I would condone "they ignored arguments" to mean "they
disagreed with arguments".

If you insist on calling me a liar again, I would appreciate it if you
could provide a source showing that anything of what I wrote here is
untrue. Though, to be frank, I don't really think there is much point to
this discussion either way - you have already demonstrated in the past that
you are at best difficult to have a productive conversation with.