The strange thing is that the new GAE price model is supposed to be more
transparent, yet it seems to be less so than the current price model. Maybe
it's just that some terms, like instance, needs to be explained a bit more.
This FAQ explains some of it but it's still not clear enough to me:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-appengine/ob-kMuDAAqc/discussion

Another thing is that today 10 free applications can be used for each
account. 10 applications could potentially use many instances per day which
would result in huge monthly bills. Compare with for example super cheap
hosting for around $2 per month like: http://www.one.com/en/

My guess is that Google's pricing after all is fair, but the new GAE price
model needs to be clarified I think.