What I've taken away from these long threads is that:
1. GAE is already faster than other AWS and others when it spins up new
instances
2. GAE's job is harder when there's a lot of initialization to do and lots
of jars to scan. Precompilation helps but not enough for large apps
3. the scheduler doesn't suit all the needs. Sometimes it directs request
to cold instances

Number 3 cannot be fixed at this stage, unless Google allows us to tweak
the scheduler directly.
All I can do is trying to limit the app's size and static initialization as
much as possible.
I'm thinking of splitting my apps into multiple versions and removing jars
from the frontend altogether.
I use Vosao and am quite satisfied with its performances. I also use
Restlet which is a bit slow at startup (I think it used to be slower with
earlier versions of GAE). When I hit jaxb, that's terrible so I'm doing all
XML processing in task queus. Haven't split the app yet but having
non-default versions for task queues and cron jobs looks like acceptable
logical partitioning.

PS At the last IO they announced changes in the way they define apps, they
will introduce the concept of multiple apps running on a virtual servers.
Have you guys heard anything else?