Hi Rajeev,
I've got:

Eclipse Version: 3.4.0 - Build id: I20080617-2000

java.runtime.version=1.6.0_13-b03

As I said, if I go to Software Updates, Installed Software shows the GEP and
GWT SDK as installed. Available Software shows the plugin (but no install
option is available) and the AppEngine SDK, but if there is another way to
check, just let me know - Help | About | Plug-in details doesn't show it.

It locked up during "computing requirements and dependencies"

The only errors to do with Google showing in the log are from failed
compiles back when I tried to use the GEP the first time.

I've reset the perspective - nothing happened except that I had to put it
back how I like it :-)  (only takes a moment)

I'm quite happy to play about if it's any use, but apart from repeatedly
uninstalling and re-installing, I'm not too sure what to do next.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com