The loop occurs because of an error in the update message:
The AS path was missing. The receiving router "handled"
the error and propagated it.

I just gave you an example of how slippery the error
handling slope can be.

Please don't lose perspective.

Error handling should be simple.

I don't want to trust anything from a buggy router.
However, it has been shown that dropping everything from
a router because of a small bug is too severe.

Therefore, I'm prepared to accept the additional rule:
If an error can be isolated to a set of prefixes,
withdraw only the prefixes, and send an operational message.

Nothing more.