>From: Jakob Heitz [mailto:jakob.he...@ericsson.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 09,
>2012 12:42 PM
>
>The loop occurs because of an error in the update message:
>The AS path was missing.

Well your original text was not that specific. I understood that the AS PATH
attribute was present but its length was 0. So no error in the UPDATE received.

>The receiving router "handled"
>the error and propagated it.
>
>I just gave you an example of how slippery the error
>handling slope can be.
>
>Please don't lose perspective.
>
>Error handling should be simple.
>
>I don't want to trust anything from a buggy router.

I've heard that argument a few times in the discussion
draft-ietf-idr-error-handling vs RFC 4271 (current error handling). IMHO it is
not a valid one:

A) Note that what you want is not even the current RFC 4271 behavior which do
accept and do try to correct some error from a buggy router. Including for well
know attributes:

e.g. RFC 4271 ยง5.1.5 LOCAL_PREF
"A BGP speaker MUST NOT include this attribute in UPDATE messages it
   sends to external peers, except in the case of BGP Confederations
   [RFC3065].  If it is contained in an UPDATE message that is received
   from an external peer, then this attribute MUST be ignored by the
   receiving speaker, except in the case of BGP Confederations
   [RFC3065]."

And idem in RFC 1771:
"  A BGP speaker shall not include this attribute in UPDATE messages
   that it sends to BGP speakers located in a neighboring autonomous
   system. If it is contained in an UPDATE message that is received from
   a BGP speaker which is not located in the same autonomous system as
   the receiving speaker, then this attribute shall be ignored by the
   receiving speaker."

B) See also RFC 1122:
      1.2.2  Robustness Principle

         At every layer of the protocols, there is a general rule whose
         application can lead to enormous benefits in robustness and
         interoperability [IP:1]:

                "Be liberal in what you accept, and
                 conservative in what you send"

>However, it has been shown that dropping everything from
>a router because of a small bug is too severe.
>
>Therefore, I'm prepared to accept the additional rule:
>If an error can be isolated to a set of prefixes,
>withdraw only the prefixes

That would be fine for me. So I don't think we are in real significant
disagreement.

> and send an operational message.

Do you mean that the support of operational message on your BGP peers would be
MUST/prerequisite for draft-ietf-idr-error-handling? If so I would disagree. I
want to limit the impact of errors regardless of the capabilities of my peers
(regardless if my peer is in a different AS or not)

>Nothing more.

That would be ok for me, at least as a first step until we get operational
experience on the new error handling.

But to come back to the original point, IMHO Jeff proposal seems valid and you
have not succeeded in proving otherwise.

Thanks,
Regards,
Bruno